Thursday, December 16, 2010

When you really want to see at sea, they will do in a pinch

I have a sense of deja vu while I'm sitting here in bed, with Roger sleeping next to me, as I type this little travel diary. While it's very normal for me to be awake, upright and typing at this hour, what I notice to be different....is the obvious movement of the ship...and I couldn't be more pleased knowing that here is where we will be for the next 4 days.

Yesterday started like any other travel day for us, we had to push ourselves to pack, knowing we were both anxious to leave, but dreaded filling our suitcases. The good news...no airline weight restrictions...the bad news...we brought everything we could possibly fit into our LARGEST suitcases (we each have one), and I forgot the simplest thing...my toothbrush. Well....that's not exactly the entire story, because with me, you know there will always be more.

Packing-CHECK
Out the door without any "mirror mishaps"-CHECK
Down 95 with no traffic in sight-CHECK
Drop off our luggage at terminal "G"-CHECK
Find a great parking spot in the garage-CHECK

All is well, and we walk into the terminal to board the ship....we look up and think "how cool is that, Eclipse is parked right behind Century...and in 5 weeks we will be right back in this very same spot, getting on Eclipse." In a flash, it dawns on me, we dropped our luggage at "G" and the Century is docked at "F" HOLY CRAP!!! What a couple of novices....how long have we been doing this stuff??? From the ground, and with the terminal between us and the ship, it is very difficult to see exactly which ship is at each pier, because there are no signs until you get closer to the door. There are however, large flashing neon signs as you approach the port, up on the access bridge--and I had read the words Celebrity Century "G" so we just pulled up to that terminal.

My first thought is how are we ever going to confirm if our bags would actually get on to the correct ship, until is was too late to do anything about it? (at that point it's 11am and we sail at 5pm) We immediately found the porter who had assisted us in removing the bags from the trunk of the car, and he assured us that he'd been doing this for 40 years, and when he read our luggage tags, the bags were removed from his area of responsibility and placed into a cart for the ship "next door." I spoke with the supervisor and he also assured me that the bags would be placed on the correct ship. We then walked down the side walk (the terminals are very close and from one to the other is just a few steps away), and began searching in ernest for a quick glimpse of our bags. Large, black suitcase with sticky cruise tag attached to the handle....yup, that's going to be easy to spot in a sea of a thousand other large black tagged bags?!?!? After speaking with a few other gentlemen, those porters also assured us that the bag would easily make it onto the ship. Aren't we the couple that just 2 months ago, traveled a thousand miles overseas, through 5 countries, toting 7 suitcase and didn't even misplace one thing during 14 days of vacation??? How complacent we had become in our own backyard!

Right about then I'm thinking....nope let me back up a bit to a thought I had while we were driving down 95 just 15 minutes earlier. I wondered to myself "is it possible for the porter to lose your bag if you personally handed it to him on the ground" knowing no typical airline snafus were even at issue for us today? Why do I think these thoughts...it's just me...it's almost as if I'm preparing myself for the worst case scenario, and actually rationalizing how I would deal with this type of situation if it happened to occur. Let me tell you, I liked the clothing I had on at that moment, but I couldn't see myself in the same outfit for the next five days...dressy jeans and a long sleeved t-shirt were not what I had envisioned myself wearing as we entered the dining room on formal night.

Although I was strangely calm, the voice of reason, Roger-my personal security man, also consoled me with the rational reasoning of a man who has been in the business for almost 20 years--luggage with one particular ship's tag, will not be allowed onto the wrong ship--similar to an airlines not allowing a bag onto the wrong flight....it's just not supposed to happen. Yeah, we know how THAT always works out...it's exactly how my whack-a-doodle mind started thinking down this road in the first place. I was so pleased that we had not taken any flights to reach the ship, so my worst nightmare of lost luggage should not even have been our reality...that is....until we unknowingly dropped off our luggage off at the WRONG terminal!!!

Okay, I can handle this....think of it as an adventure....we proceed to check-in, board the ship, then go directly to customer service to advise them of the potential luggage issue. Please remember, we've been traveling on ships since 1987, and this has never ever been as issue for us...we usually have no problems of any kind when boarding a ship. And, never in all my years of flying, have I ever lost a piece of luggage. I'm actually laughing inside about all of this...thinking of what a great big goof ball I am...and of course, Roger says...they will be here don't worry about it..and so I don't and we go eat some lunch and take a few quick photos around the ship. Before we head up to lunch, our cabin steward let's us into the room to drop off my hand bag and I begin searching for my regular glasses...I'm wearing a pair of sunglasses and I've brought along a spare pair, but can only locate two EMPTY eyeglass cases in my bag...oh...this just keeps getting better each minute. No luggage and only a pair of sunglasses for the next five days....being nearsighted I should be fine, unless of course I want to actually SEE something that is any distance away...say perhaps the stage show each night????


Right about now I'm thrilled to stop wondering about how many different ways you can you wear a scarf to change the look of an outfit???

After losing my only pair of glasses 2 years ago on vacation, I actually overpacked in that department, and remember putting TWO extra pair of glasses in my suitcase earlier that morning....yup, that's not going to do me any good right about now. So, the tally thus far...no suitcases and no regular glasses....I'm doing really well and we haven't even left the pier yet.

Flash forward...the suitcases arrive...WOO HOO, lesson learned...ALWAYS tip your porter (we do), ALWAYS use the preprinted luggage tags (we try to), and even if you have no doubt--double check that you are at the correct terminal (we will).


The open sea to the east, as the sun sets to the west--we love watching the bridge cam on TV to check the weather each day--they had Christmas songs playing on this channel during the cruise


Yes we are a bit geeky and also keep an eye on the wind while out at sea, we check the gauges on another TV station during the day too.

I realize that it is beginning to get dark out, and my sunglasses are no longer necessary. I'm rummaging through the suitcase to find my extra eyeglass cases, but I can't seem to locate them...this can't be good! Oh brother, I have all my clothes, will be dressing with no problem...I just won't be able to see anything clearly (except when we are out in the sun), for the next five days. Roger continues to search through my handbag (the one we had both looked pulled apart hours earlier) and finds hidden deep in the side pocket (without the case), my old pair of replacement glasses from the trip 2 years ago, that I no longer wear because the nose pads squish my nose uncomfortable. My hero....not the most comfortable pair of glasses I own, but they will certainly do in a pinch.


The weather cooperated for sail away...we enjoyed our balcony for a quiet view of the sea as we left the port of Miami

P.S. Just to let you know that I have not completely lost my mind....the other two pair of glasses I'd put in my suitcase earlier in the day, were later found while unpacking, buried deep in the middle of the suitcase pocket, exactly where I put them....just another day in MY Paradise....happy cruising!

No comments: