Saturday, December 11, 2010

Love means never having to say you're sorry?!?

Okay, so admittedly, I talk too much and too fast, I am a bad listener, I'm not very patient and although I'm a reformed complainer...we now need to add one more item to this ever-growing laundry list of my past and present unbecoming characteristics…drum roll please......I rarely say "I'm sorry." Now before you are quick to jump to any conclusions and decide that I am a bwitch (that's a combination witch and bit...yup you get what I mean), let me first say, that I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about what I am going to do prior to actually doing it, in an effort to avoid having to be "sorry" for anything….yeah that made a lot of sense?!? It's that whole karma thing that I am forever going on about. I feel strongly that it should be a priority for me, to consider how my actions may or may not affect other people. I've been known to apologize in advance if I feel that I am going to inconvenience someone…case in point when Stacey had to pick me up at the airport at 11pm last Friday night. It bothered me that I was making her trek out so late, on such a freezing cold night.

Reflecting back over the years, I can attribute a break down of and/or a complete lack of communication, to a good portion of the times in my life when an apology was necessary. Although I don't believe anyone should ever be too proud to admit failure in any way, shape or form...how can we improve upon our own shortcomings, if we are unaware of them?

It's quite obvious, that the words of a stranger or an acquaintance can certainly have the power to sting, however it’s the ones we love that can hurt us the most. And in turn those are the people that we harm with our words or neglect, when we are not cognizant of how our actions affect others. Although I speak from experience of many years gone by, thankfully, we have all come a long way since then and I am at a point in my life where open communication comes more easily. In this day and age of cell phones with internet access, we are never more than a few seconds away from hearing a friendly voice on the other end of the line, or receiving a return text message or email response. Unfortunately, this has some of us expecting instant gratification, and our patience is rarely put to the test. Have we all simply been spoiled by what may be perceived as unrealistic expectations? In a recent personal experience....this type of situation caused mildly unpleasant results.

For the most part, those occurences are far and few between…except for earlier this week, when for the first time in quite a long while, I apologized to my husband for my own cranky, tired, impatience (please tell me you are not surprised by this!!) with his untimely actions. There was contributory negligence (boy do I need a break from work--these words are following me home now) on both our parts and we agreed it was a lack of sleep and that we were not "on the same page" about who, where, when and exactly how the day had previously been scheduled to end.

As we pack up our suitcases in the next hour or two, and set sail late this afternoon to celebrate yet another year coming to a close, the little blips in our life are never more than distant memories that easily fade in our minds. Neither of us is more pleased than the other, to run away from the rest of the world and once again share some special quiet time together.

That being said, I will now apologize in advance to any of you, who read along each day….I am taking a short break from this daily bligetty blogetty blogfest, while we relax, re-energize and rejuvenate at sea. I may post some pictures and a few words over the next 5 nights, but all in all, this is our yearly holiday gift to ourselves and each other, and I so desperately want to completely "check out" from my normal everyday life. Not only that...but my writing has been getting waaaaay too introspective the last few days, and try as I might to leave my intense, hectic, overly complicated work load behind, sometimes when I'm in the office until 7 p.m., I tend to bring the serious side of me home (and the silly side ends up falling fast asleep on the couch by 8 p.m.). All I really want to do, is enjoy a balmy breeze and some R & R...and that my friends....is all your gonna see, if anything, until Thursday. Ummm, oh yes...just in case you were wondering.....there might be some eating involved too....oh boy!!!

Like I always say....just another day in Paradise....happy cruising :)







No comments: