Monday, December 6, 2010

A birthday wish for you

I some times think of our lives are like a novel or a movie with a beginning, a middle and an end. Unfortunately, none of us are able to pop into the local Barnes and Noble and pick up the cliff notes to see who we will meet along the way, and neither can we peek at the last few pages to see how everything will turn out at the end. And, unlike the previews of a movie up on the big screen, no one is going to give away the plot line or slip you a subtle hint about how the numerous people that come into our life will influence our future simply by being there, at just the right moment in time.

Over the course of my lifetime, there have been many people I've known, some for only a brief period, and others continue to be a part of my life today and have found a very special place in my heart.

This particular woman saw something in me when others were unable to even glance in my direction. When she reflects back, her memories are of a pre-teen with elegance and grace (her words-not mine)…I believe she may actually have mistaken those two traits for my intense shyness at that young age. To begin with, she saw me as an individual rather than one of many.

Having always been thought of as one of "those Joseph kids" I had finally stepped outside my comfort zone, when I opted to leave the private school I had gone to for the previous 6 years. I'm not quite sure what prompted my parents to allow their 12 year old daughter and 13 year old son, to consider for themselves, what school they wanted to attend. Looking back, it was the best decision I had ever made...if not for that one simple choice, who knows what road I would have gone down. There were a couple of very special people I met in those two short years, who altered the course of the rest of my life.

The town we lived in had just completed construction on a brand new Jr. High, and both my older brother and I left our religious education behind to discover what the public school system had to offer. Jack and I no longer had to endure a round trip 40 minute ride to school each day, in a car full of our brothers and sister. The new school was about 10 minutes from our home and a quick bus ride was all that was between our front door and my introduction to the world of hallway lockers and a smelly gymnasium. The school was actually so new, parts of the gym were not even completed. It would be many more months before we had fully functioning facilities in that area of the school.

I usually kept to myself and let very few people into my world. I was never one of the crowd, instead I found one or two like-minded people, and held that friendship very close to my heart. This woman befriended me when I wandered into the Jr. High library to volunteer during study hall. Having recently discovered a love of reading, I was immediately drawn to a familiar haven, which surrounded me with books. Over the next 6 years, this 12-year old adolescent would eventually grow into a young lady right before her eyes. You see, not only did I meet the librarian, but her daughter (who happened to be in my homeroom), became my best friend, and I would spend a good portion of my teenage years as an honorary member of their family...but that's another story. Many years before she became a grandmother to my children, she was an adult I could count on to listen to my adolescent ramblings. We had a mutual love of books, prior to sharing the love of her son, who I would not be introduced to until I entered high school 2 years later. After I married Roger, she continued to be my confidant and alley, but more importantly, a dear friend I can turn to when I am in need. She has always been a great listener, which is sometimes all that was necessary during our early years of raising a family.


On our wedding day....the smile she shares with anyone who is lucky enough to know this special lady


The three children she brought into the world who touch the hearts of all of us

This is the woman, who every year on my children's birthday, sends me a quick thank you note for "giving" her the gift of her grandchildren, Stacey and Brian. It always brings a smile to my face to think that my children have brought her so much joy over the last 31 years. I know that they are the best part of who I am today, and the two things I am most sure of in my life.


I have always been proud to be considered her "other daughter" Teri, Barb and me

It has always been apparent to me, that the man I married, and who makes me laugh every day, gets his hilarious and often times quirky sense of humor, from his mother. He most probably also inherited her sentimental heart, the ones that allows him to cherish anything and everything his children have ever given him over the years. He definitely gets his strength and stature from his father, however, I firmly believe that as babies, the daily embrace of our mother's arms, teaches us the simple art of loving with all hearts.


Mother and son


Over the years, the family always gathered to celebrate special occasions and holidays, no matter how many miles separated all of us

Although she has always been more comfortable behind the camera rather than in front of it, I have collected a few photos of her over the years, which I treasure. Her own numerous photo albums represent the love and joy she has shared with her family as it grew throughout the years.


Her long awaited visit with her first grandchild...the love was mutual from day one

Since the children were little, she has truly been a thoughtful hands-on grandmother...babysitting on occasion and still to this day, she continues to enjoy the time she spends with Stacey, Scott, Taryn and Brian. For many years, after they retired and moved back to New Hampshire, they would take them to visit their home in the mountains for weeks at a time, during the long summer months.


One of the many picnics she would prepare with Stacey, Brian, Grandma and Grandpa


Our last holiday together in CT before we moved to FL

As I sit here today looking forward to the birth of my first grandchild, I can only hope I am half as loving and caring, as she has been, as a grandmother to my children. It would also please me to know, that I am as supportive a mother in law to both Taryn and Scott, the new additions to our growing family, as she has been to me, over the last 33 years of my married life.


We gathered together to celebrate Barbara and Earl's 50th wedding anniversary

She is a brave woman who has overcome serious health issues and personal tragedy in her life, with the same strength and determination she instilled in her own children. None of us have a perfect life, rather it is how we deal with these life events, that makes us who we are today.


It brings them both pleasure to be surrounded by all four of their grandchildren


She gathered her family together to celebrate her mother-in-law's birthday


A summer picnic, when both of our families last came together--we all look forward to creating many more memories at Stacey and Scott's wedding in September 2011


She has always been present and proud to share in every occasion as her grandchildren became adults


She holds the love of her grandchildren very close to her heart, as she watches her family continue to grow

A Happy Birthday wish for you Barbara....all my love today and always...Joanne

No comments: