Sunday, December 19, 2010

Dream a Little Dream

Ok, let's face it dreams are weird...there is just no debating it....if someone could actually explain them to me, I would be most appreciative...anyone???

Do you find that the type of sleep you are having, whether it's a deep sleep or a light sleep, determines what kind of dream that you find yourself in the middle of? Do you have recurring dreams, that are so identical, you actually know how they are gong to end? I've been known to have a conscious thought during a dream saying to myself "here we go again, maybe I can change the ending this time"

I tend to be very aware that I'm dreaming when I'm asleep....I learned many years ago as a child, how to wake myself from an unpleasant one. I have yet to master the art of staying in a very good dream, which can be so frustrating at times. Is it just me, or do other people also find that the longer you sleep, the stranger your dreams become. Perhaps that is why I don't try to go back to sleep in the early morning hours, I'm trying to avoid the bizarre dreams that are sure to come my way.

Most nights when I crawl into bed, I'm not thinking very clearly and as my head hits the pillow, sleep is usually only moments away. On rare occasions, when I head to bed before finding myself comatose on the couch, shortly before I fall asleep, the characters pop into my mind and begin their story. There appears to be an equal mixture of my participation in the drama and/or my observance from the sidelines.

Although I left my childhood home 33 years ago, every now and then, I will dream of being inside that house, strangely as an adult with my own children. Often times, if my dreams are about Stacey and Brian, they're included as children and not as the adults they are today. Interestingly enough, considering that we met at the ages of 14 and 16, Roger and I always appear to stay middle aged, never older or younger.

On a very lazy morning, after I wake, I'm completely aware of laying in bed as the stories continue...it's almost as if my dreams won't end regardless of the fact that I am ready to get up and start my day. It's similar to watching picture in picture or a split screen, one is a fading dream and the other a reality.

I don't often find the time to daydream, usually my thoughts are racing with ideas of what to write or an itinerary of our future travel plans. I'm not claiming that my waking thoughts are any more understandable than my sleeping ones...unless of course, I take the time to stop and write...then it is up to those who read my words to decide....is all of this just one big dream?


Where my daytime dreaming leads me...to the islands of Tahiti


Does dreaming make it all real?


Our plan to visit these beautiful islands is finally becoming a reality


There are no visions of sugarplums dancing in my head...only slow lazy waves and relaxing island sunsets


This is a four-foot long framed photograph that has been over our bed for the last five years....it helps me to imagine distant islands....never stop dreaming!

No comments: