Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Please move forward and don't forget to make your payments along the way

During this season of giving, I’m reminded of the many years I spent running errands, wrapping gifts, searching for ingredients and staying up late to prepare for family holiday celebrations. I believe that we all reach a point in our lives when were realize that all our efforts are more stressful than we truly care to admit. I made a rational decision, after our children were grown, to simplify not only our daily lives, but during the time between November and December as well. I have found that all year round, there are occasions where giving can be just as significant as it is at this special time around the holidays. I agree 100% that the joy of doing for others, far outweighs what we can ever receive in return…actually I believe it is the incredible feeling of sharing ourselves with those around us, that is truly a wonderful gift.

This story may be an example of how our simple actions affect those individuals we meet during our lives, if even for a very brief time.

When we were packing our suitcases for our trip this fall, I had a strong feeling as I set the wedding dress that I had purchased for our vow renewal into the bag, that I would not be returning home with it. I didn’t know exactly how that particular scenario would actually play itself out, I just felt in my heart, that once I had worn the gown, I would not be storing it away to never be worn again. It had come to me in an interesting manner, and I felt that it deserved to be enjoyed by someone else, who would fall in love with it the same way that I had.

Let me back up a bit to explain just how that dress came to be in my possession. If you have had any experience with shopping for a wedding dress, you know that it can be a long drawn out process. I hadn’t even contemplated buying an actual wedding dress until the daughter of a friend of mine, began her own search for the perfect gown for her wedding, and we spent a bit of time looking at a few of the online bridal sites. I was searching on the internet and saw a dress that I instantly loved for myself and decided to make a trip to our local store to try it on to determine the correct size, before placing the online order. I was keeping my fingers crossed that it happened to be in stock and was disappointed when the first consultant was unable to locate it on the rack of sample dresses. I made my way back to the front of the store to speak with another consultant who knew exactly which dress I was referring to and was coincidentally holding one aside for another customer. I happily tried it on and it fit like a glove…I was pleased to know I would be able to place my online order without any custom alterations necessary (I did end up having it shortened, which was a simple task). By the time I again made my way to the front of the store, I was told that the customer no longer wanted the dress, and it was mine to take home that very day. I was more than thrilled to know, my search for the perfect dress for our renewal was complete. To top that off, it was discounted to 1/5th of its original price. Not too bad for a woman who had been married 32 years and was purchasing a wedding gown for the very first time.

Now back to the day of our renewal…I had been able to keep the dress a secret from Roger, wanting to have a surprise moment as I entered the room, similar to a typical wedding ceremony. Of course my plans almost backfired when I sent the dress out to be pressed still inside the protective bag, and it was returned to our cabin completely uncovered (with the bag neatly folded and attached to the hanger????) and hanging there for all to see. Thank goodness, Roger happened to be out of the cabin that afternoon, or all my months of “stealth dress mode”, would have been for naught.

As I walked down the hallway about to enter Michael’s Club, unknown to me, a security guard was behind me as I turned to go through the doorway. It would not be until later when the photos where uploaded, that I would notice her observing me. That afternoon, long after the ceremony, we found ourselves on the bridge of the ship to take additional photographs as we sailed up the Grand Canal into Venice. I met the very same security guard, who expressed how much she loved my gown, and at that moment I knew she would be the next person to wear that dress. I asked her if she would like to have it.....her eyes lit up and she was almost speechless. I don’t think she believed I was being completely honest with her, but I told her, it was hers if she wanted it. She mentioned that she would be getting married in February of 2011, and I was very pleased to hear the dress would be worn by yet another happy bride. I did make her promise that after she wore the dress, that she would pass it along to someone else. You may think it strange, but I didn’t even know this young woman’s name, but would later find out that it is Joanne and we are pretty much about the same shape and stature....you just can’t make these things up.


Joanne and Joanne...I was not aware of her standing behind me...we would meet later that day


The following week...two security guards swapping tips

The ship has a strict policy that staff cannot go to a passenger’s cabin to obtain any of their belongings, even in the form of a gift. So, I was required to package up the dress and leave it at the customer relations desk with her name on it. Well, it quickly became known that I was the lady who gave her wedding dress away and quite a few of the female staff thought it was a lovely gesture on my part. For me it all just seemed so natural, something that had brought me such joy for one very special day in my life, should be passed on so that the same feeling could be experienced by many others. I knew that style of the dress was not something that would appeal to Stacey, she has a more simple taste in clothing, dissimilar to the formal look of my gown. We were so happy to see Joanne’s face when we were recently back on the Century last week…I know she will be leaving the ship soon to travel back to the Philippines for her wedding.


I love this dress...I truly felt like a bride that day

Please remember that the time of the year should never be a concern when you are giving a gift, whether it is one from the heart or just something special to make a friend smile. No matter the circumstances, take the time to fully understand what you set into motion every single time you make the decision, to pay it forward.


1 comment:

HappyCruiser said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing.