Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Remember who…remember what…remember where….remember when?

It's really a crap shoot for me now-a -days…I sometimes feel like my brain is similar to that old drug prevention public service announcement from the 80's

"This is your brain......


....this is your brain on drugs"



The issue here…I'm not on drugs, nor have I taken any prescription medication in the last 21 years (or any recreational drugs, for that matter). So what happened to all those brain cells that, in the past, kept me on my toes for 16 hours at a stretch? It's a well known fact that as we age, we lose some of our sharpness, and the light bulb may not be shining as brightly as it was when we were younger. It must be time to get out the ginkgo biloba, and yet I wonder, does it even work very well? I am not referring to the debilitating and heart wrenching idea of Alzheimer's setting in, this is simply a lack of cognitive skills when it comes to recall. When do we lose the ability to remember all the little things we took for granted in our youth?

I often stop before stepping out the door on my way to work and run through a mental checklist….keys, security badge, cell phone, lunch and/or $$, wallet and whatever else I need for that particular day. I can't even count how many times I've had to turn around once I've reached the elevator, only to realize I didn't put on my ring, or the mail is still sitting on the table and needs to go out. We are such creatures of habit, I find myself going through the motions and then later in the day, questioning if I actually did something or not. Here is a silly one for you…did I put my deodorant on this morning? There are times I get distracted while standing in front of the sink, and overlook such a simple task. I have found it's easier to complete my morning ritual in some kind of order, then it's hard to forget the small details.

I guess those mental checklists don’t always work…especially if you FORGET to even check off the items. This morning for example, I was within steps of the car when I realized I hadn't double checked to see if I had my keys. In my mind's eye, I couldn't recall putting them back in my purse after coming in the door yesterday afternoon. I only hoped that I'd been diligent and replaced them, and as I approached the car, it would open when I placed my finger on the handle. Gotta love that keyless entry! Please don't think this was a onetime occurrence…it happens more often than I care to admit.

Along with my key issue--here are a few others that tend to frustrate me--being unorganized at times doesn't help any particular situation:

What was the name of that island we stopped at? (yes, I know...it was only 3 weeks ago)
Where did I put one of my 4 pair of prescription glasses and/or 2 pair of prescription sunglasses?
Where is the headset for a hands free call on my phone? (I used it the last time I called Mom...hmmm)
What did I come into this room for? (a question I frequently ask when I find myself in the supply room at work)
Who is that person…looks so familiar…name escapes me? (worked on the same floor with this person for years!!!)
Who was supposed to call who? (did she say me or her...the conversation was only yesterday)
When is the book/CD due at the library? (you don't want to know what I've paid in fines)
What did I do with my chap stick? (beach bag...tote bag...rolling knapsack...purse)
Where is my black/white/cream colored slip? (slippery little things that for some reason don't find their way back into the drawer)
What did I do with my favorite flip flops? (yes I have 10 pair...but I want a specific pair)
Where is the scarf that goes with that dress? (lots of scarves...lots of dresses...such problems I have)
What happened to the remote control I had in my hand 2 minutes ago? (walked into the kitchen...did I leave it there?)

After the silly minor snafu during the beginning of our cruise earlier this month, perhaps I just need to take a deep breath, remove all other thoughts from my mind (is that even possible???) and concentrate on the task at hand. I understand that when push comes to shove, we all have the capability to remember what is truly important and who really matters.

All I can say for sure...I'm happy that I finished being a Mommy with little ones while I still had a brain that actually worked. How did I do all of these things, which seemed so easy, while I was working (2 jobs at one point), running a household and raising two children…I don't remember….do you?



No comments: