Saturday, December 4, 2010

I was snuggled at breakfast and carded at lunch

Well, here it is 8pm Friday evening and instead of lounging on my couch, I'm sitting in the airport...instead of being in my bathrobe, I'm fully dressed with boots on....and instead of thinking about getting ready for bed, I'm getting ready to board a 3-hour flight to Boston. It's the way I chose to end my very busy day...no surprises here...this trip had been planned all along.

The day also started just as I planned it...rising before the sun after a restful night of sleep and ready to tackle the day, one step at a time. I woke to cool temps and chose my wardrobe accordingly, knowing full well I'd be home to change before leaving for the airport. No need for winter boots and a leather jacket on my way to work (that would come later), a light sweater and and my dressy shiny red boots would be perfect for our holiday breakfast celebration.

As expected, the entertainment provided by all of those who participated in the gift exchange, was worth the price of admission. Most of us are laughing so hard during the choosing, unwrapping and stealing process, that we were wiping away our tears, as the festivities continued throughout the morning. Unfortunately, there were only so many bottles of champagne, Chardonnay, vodka, rum, merlot, cabernet, baileys, and shirazz to go around...so the rest of the crowd settled for a lava lamp, several starbucks gift cards, a cake plate, wine glasses, a coffee mug, a pasta set, computer games, a picture frame, candles, candy, an iTunes gift card, a gravity ball (whatever that is), a martini shaker, a tea pot, a huge assortment of popcorn (I stole it--then it was later stolen away) and last but not least a Snugli...and that would be what yours truly received...I kid you not. Most folks might have considered this a gag gift, and to be perfectly honest, at first I did as well...until it dawned on me I could bring it along on my trip to Boston and add it to my collection of blankets on the couch at home. As a matter of fact, sitting here on the plane, it's on my lap as I am writing this and keeping my legs warm and toasty.


How appropriate that I'd use it for the first time while flying high in the bright blue sky (well not really, it was night and dark--but it was a great though any way)

I was truly bummed about the loss of the overly large bags of flavored popcorn, of course I didn't take into consideration how the person felt that I stole them from...then again...it's a dog-eat-dog world out there when it comes to the legendary and riotously funny gift exchanges in the law department. One particularly funny attorney, that has been known to keep all of us rolling in the aisles, had his gifts stolen so many times, by the end of the morning almost every single item had been in his hand at one time or another. I wish I had counted how many times he unwrapped another present. The entire room would clap and chant his name to cheer him on, each time he made the trip from his seat at the back of the room up to the gift table.... over and over and over again.


Because it looks so "business-appropriate" maybe I should keep it at my desk?!?! Just gotta figure out what I'll keep stashed in the 2, yes count them...2 remote control pockets....hmmm, my stapler and scissors perhaps???

By 11am, I was back at my desk and had just under an hour to try to get some work done. Besides everyone walking around and recounting the mornings antics with each another, we did still have a law department to run. I personally, had less than an hour before my calendar alert notice started popping up to remind me that the next item on my agenda was fast approaching. I quickly checked with my co-workers to see who wanted to share a ride over to the country club, where we would be indulging in my next meal of the day...chicken salad, some kind of "seafood" salad, green salad and pasta. Not a day for eating healthy by any stretch of the imagination....did I mention I had 3 servings of Cuban pastries at breakfast....but they were really tiny and I just couldn't help myself!!!

Little did I know when we arrived at the appreciation lunch, that they would be holding raffles for a few prizes, as a way of thanking the large team of volunteers who had helped a raise over a million dollars during our annual United Way campaign. I can't remember the last time I've won anything...after five years of buying tickets to many of the various fundraising efforts throughout the 2 week campaign I always ended up with bupkis. I was completely shocked to actually win a $25 gift card to Outback. Wow, and to think I almost stayed in the office and skipped the luncheon entirely...you just never know when your luck is gonna change...too bad the universe wasn't more aligned the day they were drawing raffle tickets for the big screen tv :(


I don't mind getting "carded" when it involves free food--yummy

Back at my desk around 1:30 and the final countdown began...in only 1 1/2 hours I would be able to start my weekend...woo hoo. Needless to say, not much work was completed during my time in the office.....the festive mood and the numerous hours spent eating, contributed to a less then productive work day.


Jet Blue rocks my snack obsessed world....these things were crunchy and sweet


Another "healthy" snack option on the plane--after my yogurt dinner, this was my dessert. I totally forgot that JetBlue is an all-you-can eat snacking fest....that's my kinda airline!

Recap.....home, pack, airport...Boston and my baby! Incredible ending to a great day....it really doesn't get much better than this....well it would actually be perfect if Roger was with me--but then it wouldn't be a mother daughter weekend now would it?!?










No comments: