Wednesday, November 17, 2010

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye

Another crazy 8 hours at work, oops, ummmm, I mean just another day in paradise (tongue REALLY in cheek) and I'm finally home relaxing and dreaming about my trip...it can't get here soon enough. Only 17 hours, 33 minutes, 33 seconds from right this minute (sitting on the couch Tuesday night) until I am on board...but who's counting????? I plan to put just about everything else not related to what I am actually doing, completely out of my mind. I think that's what is commonly referred to as compartmentalizing....and I am VERY good at it. Quite frankly, that's how I get through any unpleasantness I run in to, during a typical day at work....I tell myself to suck it up, spit it out and then simply just let it all go. Except of course, when the whole darn thing festers and gets stuck in my craw? There are times I am able to ignore the growing pools of blood on the floor from all the heads banging against the wall...everyone else steps around them, so why shouldn't I??? Sad thing is, some days it's my blood on the floor....but it won't be mine on Wednesday after 11:00 a.m. I did spend a considerable amount of time, trying to decide which style of straight jacket would look good with my favorite shoes. Strangely enough, I found myself to be quite giddy and was slowly becoming a bit frightened by the hysterical laughter I heard throughout the day, until I realized it was actually coming from me.

Some days, you just have to say WTF??? Sorry for no advance warning on what is sure to become a rant...the faint of heart may want to click off right about now.

If nothing else, I am a realist and very aware that everything is not always hunkey dorey--life is not a bowl of cherries--and I am not a pollyanna pushover--ok got that outta my system…whew…yes I do get angry--even my catholic school background can't save me from reaching the breaking point on rare occasions, however, (close your eyes Barbara and Josephine) I have been known to use the "F" word…but I gotta tell you, when I do, those people in the very near vacinity pay attention because the occurences are far and few between…mama said there'd be days like this.

Now don't go thinking I want all postal or anything, a few of my close friends allow me to have a full blown rant behind closed doors...and then once it's over, I can move on with my day. It's a mutual agreement we have, that no matter the circumstances, there is nothing so bad that a few choice words and a voodoo spell won't cure. It also helps if your abbreviated workweek is ending the next day, shortly before the clock strikes noon.

Please understand I mean no ill will to anyone, and this situation had absolutely nothing to do with either of the attorneys that I work with in my group. So, without going into too much detail, because I am still a gentle soul at heart, I came to the conclusion and decided, as my favorite comedian Ron White says, "You Can't Fix Stupid." If you've never heard one of this very funny man's routines, please go to Youtube and be prepared to laugh your butt off. We ran across his incredible sense of humor, the first time we saw him on the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. Although he might be an acquired taste for some, it is well worth your time to check him out. As I always say, when you feel like your stuck in life's crapper...reach out with both hands, and grab a little laughter.

In this particular situation, I feel strongly that some folks, by choice, spread themselves entirely too thin during the course of a normal business day. Biting off more than one individual can chew, appears to be exactly how this is all going down, right before our very eyes. When the extra curricula, non-work related activities that you undertake, have precedence over your actual job, it's a train wreck waiting to happen. And while a few of us have offered some "words to the wise", unfortunately, it's all fallen on deaf ears. That being said, as long as a person chooses to stumble around in their own little sinkhole of quicksand each day, please, please please (I asked nicely), keep those bottomless pits far away from my world. Don't suck me into the cyclone that your workday has become...because if you try to, I can promise you, it will not be pretty.

Wow, that felt really good...deep breaths and time to focus on the task at hand...saying goodbye to my husband and co-workers, throwing the suitcase in the trunk of the car, and heading out the door, without one single glance in my rearview mirror. Have I mentioned that this is supposed to be a relaxing break away from my oh so stimulating job???? The more intense an issue becomes, the easier it is for me to leave it all behind. So packing up all my care and woe, here I go....singing low...bye-bye black bird.




No comments: