Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Seventy-six trombones led the big parade...

Woo hoo, I'm happy to report I certainly kicked those MMB right in the proverbial patootie!!!!! I had an incredible weekend, got lots of rest, woke up fully refreshed and even better...realized within a few minutes of opening my eyes, that I'm only at work for 2 & 1/2 days before I leave on my mini-cruise. So in reality, I completely skipped Monday and jumped right to Wednesday....I'm thinking every week should start this way!

As I headed out the door with a spring in my step, the marching song from an old musical jumped into my head, and I felt like I was leading a band of three...me, myself and I down the hallway, to tackle the day ahead. Okay, show tunes...before 7:30 in the morning....really?!? You should know that without any advance warning, a random song will just pop into my head, and for no particular reason, lately it's been old show tunes. For anyone who is not familiar with my family's background, my parents were deeply involved in a local theater group when we where growing up. While my parents were practicing their parts for each play, I was literally being raised listening to the lyrics of Rogers & Hammerstein show tunes playing on the stereo. And the funny thing is, the words of some of those songs, still echo in my head. I have no explanation, but then again, when it comes to my memory...it's all a crap shoot.

Sad to say that even though we lived there for 3 years and Brian was born in what felt like the middle of the dustbowl, I always pause and sing myself the song "O-k-l-a-h-o-m-a" whenever I am required to spell out the name of that state. In a similar fashion, when hear someone talk about Texas, I hear myself humming, "Big D little a double l a s" from the musical "Most Happy Fella." It never fails to amaze me I step into the the shower, and grab the shampoo, the words from South Pacific came flooding back to me "I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair." It's entirely spontaneous, and I even surprise myself at times....who knew I could still recall those silly lyrics after 40+ years had gone by. There is something about music, that allows our brains to have such unbelievable muscle memory. In addition to remembering old lyrics, a certain type of music or a particular song, has the power to transport us back, to recall a time that has long since been forgotten.

I love music, just about every variety that exists in the world today, from classical to rock and roll, jazz, opera, and even though some of my friends and family will gag, we actually do listen to country. Not the twangy, sappy, "My dog don't love me anymore" type, more so the crossover artists than the hill billy performers. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the music from "Walk the Line" the life story of Johnny Cash, I believe the appeal for me may be the biographical aspect of how the love of music can influence the outcome of someone's life. I was completely mesmerized by the movie "La Vien Rose" having never previously heard the voice of Edith Piaf, nor the songs she made famous. As much as I love reading autobiographies, I am thrilled when the story of a musical artist's life is made into a movie. Whether they sing, compose or play an instrument, my fascination with their talent is still the same...I am truly in awe as I watch them perform. Perhaps that is the same way I felt, when my parents introduced me to the arts, as a very young child.

When my mother and father were both on stage, I would sit in the audience with my older brother and watch them sing and dance as they portrayed characters in various plays. He was probably only 6 years old, and I was 4 at the time. I have a vivid memory of sitting in the dark theater, on a seat that I was too small to weigh down, it kept flipping up and I eventually got my leg stuck between the movable parts of the front and back of the chair. I'm guessing it didn't traumatize me too much, because I still to this day love the movies, the theater and most all of the performing arts.


Mom & Dad as "Julie Jordan & "Billy Bigelow" at rehearsal for Carousel

I always felt it was important to introduce our children to the arts and especially the world of music. Stacey learned to play the clarinet in grammar school, then spent a good portion of her junior and senior high school years involved with the band. Roger and I enjoyed many a night outside at a cold football game, cheering on the marching band as they performed on the field during halftime. We have great memories of those four years, watching her play and march as the group traveled to band competitions throughout New England. She introduced us to a wonderful composer, John Williams, whose music we will always recall with fond memories of Stacey's years of marching band. Her love of music eventually led her to meet the man, she will marry later this year. Through a mutual friend, who happened to be a fellow high school band member, she was introduced to Scott, who is himself a musician, and is employed in the music production industry. Although not as fully immersed in the arts, while in college, Brian discovered his passion for acoustical music which he composed and created electronically on his computer.


The early years of being in front of an audience



Practice and performing went hand in hand



Scott and his music...an incredible combination

So, no matter how young or old you are, no matter what type of music you enjoy, no matter if you can only hum an old tune or you actually remember a few lyrics, don't forget how often and easily music can influence your overall well being. In an instant, it can change a somber moment into one that is much more bearable....please don't ever let the parade pass you by.

No comments: