Monday, November 15, 2010

Just let your fingers do the walking....

It doesn't take much, it happens when I least expect it, I get sucked in and before you know it....an entire day has passed. I found on one occasion, I couldn't stop for two full days, until I had completely finished the entire thing. It's like finding an intriguing novel that you just can't put down, and you never know how it will end. And in some, if not most cases, it never ends...it just continues along, holding you as part of a willing and captive audience. The writing is entertaining and in some instances laugh-out-loud funny...and at other times, it can rip your heart out with it's tale of woe. Of course I prefer to laugh, so I am drawn more often than not, to lighter subjects void of political or religious overtones. I am truly a fan and fully immersed into this wonderful and interesting world of blogging.

I've never been so intrigued by a genre since I discovered true crime paperbacks decades ago in my youth. There is something that appeals to my sense of reality, as I follow along with the daily escapades of some of my fellow bloggers. Over the last few years, I've stumbled upon a world cruise travel blog, an around the world motorcycle trip blog, a circumnavigational sailing blog, the parents of multiples blog, a weight loss blog, raw food diet blog, a cross country road trip blog, a brand new parent blog, cooking blogs, cruise ship staff blogs, a famous journalist battling a life threatening disease blog, an american attaining Italian citizenship and living as a student in Italy blog, a middle-aged expat living in Venice and beginning life as tourist guide blog, and the list goes on and on. I am completely mesmerized by this never ending account of folks first hand knowledge of such a broad range of subject matter.

I am particularly fond of travel blogs, big surprise....and always appreciate the extra effort, when people take the time to add pictures to their posts. It's almost similar in a way to reading a book, my favorite ones have always been ones that have photos included with the text. It allows me to connect with the subject on an even higher level, it's still true that pictures speak louder than words. I try whenever possible to post photos in my blog, although I am quite sure everyone following along, is very happy that I chose not to capture images of my piles of unwashed laundry yesterday!

I've always enjoyed reading biographies because I find even a small glimpse into someone else's life, extremely interesting. These blogs open up the door into a real-time, up-to-the-minute diary, of the day to day lives of complete strangers. In the same way that you begin to associate with a character in a movie or book, I have always been able to connect some small part of my life to these real people, dealing with real life, in the same real world, in which I exist. Been there, done that is a thought that continually runs through my mind as I read through years worth of travel, family, and food blogs. It's never difficult to find a common thread that relates back to something that has occurred in my life, and therein lies the bond between all of us as human beings. It's almost comforting to learn that all of the struggles we've experienced and the joys we have encountered along the way, are equally shared by people we have never met.

It never ceases to amaze me how the Internet has opened up this entire new world to all of us...I embraced it right from the start, as a mother raising her children during the beginning stages of the home computer generation, and to this day, I am rarely without access to it's infinite resources. It has taught me more than I could have possibly imagined and continues to inspire me to seek out new experiences. I feel like a sponge at times, with never enough hours in the day to learn all the information that is so readily available to anyone who takes the time to look for it.

The phenomenon of blogging, is just another avenue we can access, rich with boundless insight into what others have discovered through their own love of reading and writing. It is truly a sharing of ideas and information with an unlimited audience...one that is more than willing to offer advice and/or "participate" in whatever current issues or dilemmas that someone is facing. People in general, are quick to reach out and assist complete strangers in times of need, with words of encouragement or logical suggestions. It shouldn't be surprising to learn, that genuine friendships are being formed through chance encounters on blogs and bulletin boards available to the general public. Due to similar circumstances, the sharing of oftentimes helpful information, can only be likened to a group of people gathered in support of one another. It is amazing to witness such an outpouring of caring words and true concern for individuals who may find themselves in a helpless situation. On the other hand, a joyful occasion can also be shared and celebrated first hand, with friends and family spread across continents. We are communicating with individuals around the world in a way that was previously unheard of...opening up our eyes to cultures and lifestyles completely unknown to us before now.

I intend to continue discovering all that blogging has to offer me, from my own dip into the writing pool, to the ongoing search for new and interesting adventures posted by bloggers around the world. Don't ever be afraid to venture outside your comfort zone to find intriguing things that might actually hold your interest. You really never know what you will possibly stumble upon....when you let your fingers do the walking across the keyboard sitting right there in front of you.


No comments: