Friday, November 26, 2010

A picture is worth a thousand words..or, how my Wonderful Wednesday came before Black Friday

I find myself in a very frustrating dilemma…I love adding photos to my blog each day, however, my old scanner has decided it no longer wants to work. I've tried just about everything, short of jumping up and down on it (don't think the idea has not crossed my mind), and even Roger spent some time trying to reinstall drivers and whatever else he could do to get it to cooperate. No such luck!!!

So, that leaves me with my memory box full of photos, with no way to scan, edit and add them to my rambling thoughts each day. I do however, have quite a large collection of pictures that I had scanned and uploaded onto Facebook two years ago, so they are stored on my IPad scattered throughout a dozen albums. That is all well and good for now, but many times over the last month as I have been sitting and writing my blog, I've thought of a photo that is filed away in the chest, that would be perfect for whatever the subject matter happened to be that particular day….but then I remember that it hasn't been previously scanned….grrrrrr…never a good thing for me :( I get just a bit annoyed when I run into this situation…it's really time to find an inexpensive practical solution.


My life fits into this chest of memories...time to get more organized!

That being said, I've started a little preliminary window shopping, which in this day and age translates to reading Amazon reviews of a few small scanners on the market. I want something very portable, that has the capability of saving to a memory card or to my computer files. Because I use my IPad exclusively to write, the ease of use with an SD card will be so much more convenient than uploading to the computer first, then emailing the picture to myself later. I welcome anyone's feedback on photo scanners they have purchased or recently used. I'm hoping to run across a holiday electronic sale going on somewhere…if you hear about something like that…please hook me up and it will be most appreciated :)

Of course, I absolutely know that it is not necessary to post pictures as part of my writing each day. As I've mentioned in the past, when I read other people's blogs, I love to see images that further illustrate whatever point is being conveyed by the author. My aim is usually to arrive at a good healthy balance between words and photographs, unless of course I am discussing food…then all bets are completely off!!! And, although I feel strongly that a picture is truly worth a thousand words, if I filled by daily posts with only pictures…would there really be any need for me to write at all??? Oh please…..you can just get that thought right out of your minds!!!
*************UPDATE*********UPDATE************UPDATE***********
So...I started this particular blog a few days ago...as I do most of the time, I have a thought...then begin to flesh it out...and eventually finish it at some point before posting. I always have a dozen or so going at a time...yup...just my nutty little mind churning away at the speed of light.

I wasn't pleased with my current lack of scanning apparatus, and finally took the situation into my own hands....I've never been a very patient person...it's a character flaw that those who love me, have just learned to deal with over the years. Let's face it...it really could be worse....my impatience usually concerns booking a cruise or making a small purchase...nothing too earth shattering, unless you consider that time I wanted to buy the condo in one day...oh well...I never said living with me was gonna be easy.

On Wednesday, we were allowed to leave work a little earlier than normal, and at 3 in the afternoon, I started my errands. Having searched online earlier in the week (almost all my holiday shopping is done online), I found a scanner that might just fit the bill....and as an extra bonus, I'd received a coupon in the mail for 20% off and there was a $10 rebate. How'd I get so lucky??? They had them in stock online.....I had my fingers crossed when I called the store, and sure enough...there were some on the shelf. No way I was waiting for it to be shipped. The store was only a mile from work, so my very first stop that afternoon, I picked up my new gadget, and was back in the car within minutes...next up, the Mall--I'm just a glutton for punishment.

I'm not a big mall shopper, but I do run in there occasionally to pop into GNC for my enzymes...and it being Thanksgiving and all...it was time to stock up. The new H&M had opened, so I made a quick run through the store to see if anything caught my eye. I find that whenever laundry day is looming, my wallet is very safe in my purse because the thought of adding any additional clothing to my collection, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Almost like going grocery shopping on a full stomach...you never want to put any food in the cart.

I did however, pop into Anthropologie because it always smells so good and I love to peek at all the fun things they have....I rarely shop for myself in there, I'm almost always on a mission to buy a gift, and that day was no different. Without even thinking about it, I'd officially started my holiday shopping...and it wasn't even Black Friday yet!!!

Time to stop at Cheesecake Factory to pickup dessert for Thanksgiving dinner...Godiva cheesecake and pumpkin-pecan cheesecake...forget the turkey...bring on the sweet stuff!!!

A very quick stop at the grocery store...what a zoo the parking lot was....then I was on my way home. In a very short period of time, I was able accomplish every thing I had on my todo list, and get home before most of the other folks were even out of work....I love when that happens :)

It's time for me to try out my new toy, I must have been a very good girl this year....here it is Black Friday, and I already have my first holiday gift...good luck to all those shoppers out there braving the crowds...I'll stick to the Internet...thank you very much!

No comments: