Friday, November 12, 2010

I'll have the massage please...hold the envy

You know how you get those envelopes in the mail stuffed full of coupons from local businesses offering all sorts of specials.....from a buy-1-get-1-free pizza, to a car wash with a free wax...and even a discount from the air-conditioner repair shop down the road. Well, I'm forever tossing out most of what's inside the envelope (there's all that paper trash piling up again), although I'll sometimes pick out a few and set them aside, then eventually they expire and I throw those out too because I never really use coupons anymore. And of course, just about that time, another envelope over flowing with the exact same coupons, shows up in our mailbox yet again.

For whatever reason, I'd picked out a coupon for a place a couple miles up the street, that was offering a $39 trial massage. Who doesn't love a nice relaxing massage...but come on, they will usually set you back at least $100 plus a tip if you visit one of the full service spas in town. Until we moved to Florida, I'd never had a professional massage in my life, as a matter of fact, I'd never had a pedicure either. I'll admit it....we were such back woods folks who didn't know the first thing about self indulgence. Actually, I think it had more to do with opportunity and availability...let's face it, Waterford, CT was not the spa capital of the world. Unless you visited a resort in southeastern CT, which were far and few between, you couldn't find a massage therapist no matter how much money you had to spend. So, soon after we arrived in Florida, for my 41st birthday, I found a lovely spa at a local resort, and treated myself to both a massage and pedicure. I felt like I'd entered a whole new world....it didn't take me long to realize what I'd been missing all those years. Of course just because I enjoyed a relaxing massage, didn't mean I could splurge all that often. The pedicures were a different story, they are less than $20, and you can't turn around in a shopping plaza without bumping into at least one nail salon. With my new found love of my very own toes, pedicures became another part of my monthly routine. Who knew Florida would turn me into such a self indulgent woman in her 40's and 50's... within reason of course....I still wash my own clothes and scrub my own toilet :(

So, I decided to give it a try, how bad could a $39 massage be? Wow, they had me at "hello" and I've been going once a month for almost 3 years. Its actually a membership of sorts, $59 a month for a 1 hr massage, then any additional hours after that, during the same month are $39 each. When I first joined in 2008, I'd just recently recovered from my cervical fusion, so I was a bit wary of allowing anyone to touch my neck. My initial therapist was great, but then she left after a year and I struggled to find a replacement. After some trial and error, I finally found a therapist that is perfect for me, and she works convenient evening hours 3 days a week. The overall hours of the place are incredible, they are open 7 days a week, most evenings until 10pm. It's close to home and after an especially crazy day at work, I really look forward to my relaxing monthly massage.

Years ago, I would never have considered spending money on something so frivolous, however, I believe that our overall wellbeing is connected to how we allow ourselves to de-stress. I'm rarely ill, I can't recall the last time I had a cold...it may have been only once in the last 12 months, and for whatever reason, it lasted just a few days. I've used 16 hours of sick time this year (two days in the hospital--but that's another story), and if I remember correctly, about the same amount of time in 2009. I haven't had the flu in more than 10 years, and I always decline the free flu shots at work. I take absolutely no prescription drugs or over-the-counter medications, don't smoke, don't drink, have low cholesterol, low BMI, low blood pressure and score 99 every year on my company's health assessment through Cigna. So, I figure a massage once a month is the reward I allow myself for keeping this old bag of bones in good condition. As everyone knows, it's not easy to maintain a healthy body as we age, more effort on our part is required just to keep the status quo...to be perfectly honest, getting old sucks.... there is just no holding back the hands of time. I've even introduced my own mother, who is in her mid 70's, to the wonderful world of massage therapy, and she loves it!

My massage last night was incredible as always...I can actually feel my body melting into the table as all my tired muscles relax. Afterwards, I float into the car, down the street and less than 5 minutes after my massage, I'm home on the couch. If they'd just let me stay on the nice cozy massage table, I'd probably get that 8 hour night sleep that continues to elude me. I've made a suggestion to the receptionist, that if they rented out rooms after each session was over, they'd make a killing...I know I'd splurge a bit more to roll over and spend the night. Unfortunately, they have not taken my innovative idea to the next step....hmmmm, I wonder why?

It's my understanding that this chain of mini massage spas are located throughout the country and may very well be coming to a strip mall near you. Do your body a favor.....run..... don't walk to the nearest one in your neighborhood...it's money well spent and I believe each and every person truly deserves it. I highly recommend Massage Envy as your once-a-month escape from reality...after just one short hour, the worries of the world will literally fade away....you're never too old and it's never to late to discover the joy of massage therapy!



There are so many healthy benefits to receiving massage therapy on a regular basis:

Relieves Stress
Encourages Relaxation
Improves Posture
Improves Circulation
Lowers Blood Pressure
Helps Manage Pain
Relaxes Muscles
Improves Flexibility and Range of Motion
Relieves Tension-Related Headaches
Strengthens The Immune System
Enhances Post-Operative Rehabilitation
Improves Rehabilitation After Injury


No comments: