Friday, November 5, 2010

Audience of one

You either enjoy being in a very quiet room all by yourself, or you don't....you either enjoy the idea of picking out a good book with the intention of finishing it all in one sitting, or you don't.....you either read a 300 page book extremely quickly, from beginning to end, without any distractions, or you don't.....it's all about how each individual approaches the solitary world of reading.

For as long as I can remember, I've found much joy in reading all manner of the written word. Who knew when we were first introduced to "Dick and Jane" or when we learned to "Hop on Pop" how those early years of reading would open up a whole new world to us. Other then the obvious Dr. Suess books and required reading at school, SRA anyone?.....I began with something as simple as a magazine subscription when I was a preteen, I think it was called Jack & Jill. My sister eventually took over that subscription, as I grew out of that age group, and I then started reading Young Miss magazine. I was thrilled to have something that came in the mail, addressed exclusively to me, that I didn't have to share with anyone else. The library was one of my favorite places to go on a Saturday afternoon (see, I was a book nerd way back then), and I recall my mother driving us all the way to Norwich to visit the Otis library. I introduced my love of books to my own children at a very young age, and Roger and I are close enough to walk to our local library here in town, and often bring home a pile of books to read.

As a teenager, when I began babysitting for my neighbor, I was finally introduced to the world of silly little Harlequin romance novels, and thus began my love affair with paperbacks. During summer vacation, I would polish off one of those small pocketbook love stories in an afternoon. I recall greedily borrowing a bag full of books, to make sure I wouldn't run out of reading material if they went away for a few days. Later I graduated to full blown novels, and remember devouring Gone With the Wind as quickly as my free time would allow. I craved reading material in the same manner that I currently long for my next travel adventure. I even volunteered at the library in Jr. High, so that I would have first pick of the new novels as soon as they came in the door.

I'm not exactly sure when my fascination with true crime began, my best guess would be that I was tired of fiction, and needed something a bit more intriguing to keep myself entertained. Nothing would give me more pleasure than to find a quiet room, with no distractions...no noise....no interruptions...and with nothing else to do for 3-4 hours. I could think of no better way to spend a lazy day, than to sit down and read a book from cover to cover. Of course, all this reading was put on hold during the years when we started a family and had babies. Although I longed for the days, when I would have an afternoon all to myself, they were certainly far and few between. As with most parents who are raising children, there was very little time for me to indulge in one of my favorite pastimes. I'm not sure I could have handled anything more intense than a parenting magazine, never mind a twisted, horrific, non-fiction novel like those that came out of Hollywood in the 70's. I was the thrill ride seeker in my family, and the thrill ride reader of the bunch. The gorier, the better, and my fascination continues to this day.

Recently I've noticed that writing has taken over my free time and sadly, I don't read nearly as much as I had previously...however, that does not mean I love it any less. If anything, my love of reading goes hand in hand with my love of writing...in my case, the written word has the power to move me no matter if I am reading them and/or jotting down my own.

I have absolutely no problem shutting out the rest of the world, to lose myself in whatever I am reading. It is truly like jumping into another one of our travel adventures, without ever leaving the comfort of my couch. It only takes a few pages before I find myself bonding with the characters as I enter into their world, no matter if I'm reading a mystery, biography, thriller, best selling novel, or romantic comedy. Interestingly enough, at a very young age (think drive-in movies here), my similar passion and love of movies began, but that's another story.

On some level, I believe that my love of reading is deeply connected to my ability to enjoy my own company....spending time alone has never been an issue for me. It actually surprises me when I hear of people that have a problem, or they are uncomfortable with, being by themselves. I know for a fact, it harkens back to the idea of living in a house with many family members...there was rarely anytime to be alone by yourself. You could try to find a quiet corner and settle down with a book, more often than not, it would be a cozy spot laying on top of my bed, with the door closed if possible. Almost until the day I left home at 18, I shared a room with my younger sister...I really don't recall many solitary days alone in that house.

At this time in my life, with our working schedules so different, I easily find time alone for reading or writing and have settled into a routine of sorts to complete my goal of posting each day. The couch in my living room, or a seat on an airplane, 3 am before the sun comes up, or after work at dusk as the sun sets on my patio, it matters very little to me where or when my time is spent enjoying my passion for the written word.

Sadly, some people have never learned to lose themselves in a good book or to savor quiet time while being alone. It very possibly starts at a young age, just as a baby is left awake in their crib, in the hopes of being taught to self sooth on their own. Long before they ever pick up a book or sit through a movie...those quiet solitary times are teaching them the fine art of allowing themselves the pleasure of enjoying.....an audience of one.



No comments: