Sunday, January 30, 2011

Why?

When things are a bit nutty in my world, I find a simple escape and lose myself in either a good long novel or find a movie that interests me. Thank goodness for Netflix and the endless stream of cinematic entertainment that it affords the movie lover in all of us. I learned early on from my parents of the joy to be found in finding an entertaining movie, and passed my love of film and theater to both of our children.

I never really know what will strike my fancy, or what particular genre will pop up on the Netflix listing whenever I turn on the tv and enter the world of my trusty little Roku. For whatever reason this week, I've stumbled upon a few thought provoking, intriguing movies and one particularly heartbreaking documentary. Although I've recently made a conscious decision to avoid the media in almost all of it's incarnations, it in no way keeps me from viewing an in-depth, research driven documentary on almost any given day. I rarely discriminate in my choice of fascinating subject matter, and consider it to almost be a form of continuing adult education. Having never been a big fan of history as a student, I welcome and embrace these learning opportunities whenever they present themselves.

I recently found myself standing on the well worn cobble-stone streets of San Juan, and spent a few hours discovering the history of its citizens as well as the military installation at San Cristobal Castle. I was reminded of my own personal loosely based link, to the wars that have been fought since what seems like the beginning of time. Having experienced the first part of my married life as the wife of man enlisted in the Army, I may be a bit more aware of the harsh reality faced by members of the military, and their own families. I still recall as a young bride of 18, walking through the very same streets in Germany, where Hilter once gathered and marched his Nazi troops to battle. When we were stationed overseas from 1978 to 1981, the wall dividing east and west Germany still existed. It was very apparent to me on one particular day when I inadvertently discovered, during a simple shopping expedition, that I had traveled within the 10k border zone. A highly guarded boundary separated this once solid european country, where I resided with my family, which had been split as a result of a world war.

I have always been thankful, now more than ever, that Roger's service to his country ended shortly before the United States was involved in the Gulf War. There were many times in the early 90's that I found myself watching a newscast about the conflict, knowing how my own husband could have easily been part of that deployment of soldiers.

I'm never more aware of this, nor is the fact very far from my mind, than when I happen upon a documentary as eye opening as the recently released and Oscar nominated film called Restrepo. Watching the movie alone, in my darkened living room one evening this past week, I was immediately transported to that remote location and fully immersed in the reality of the war torn country these soldiers are still bravely defending. I find it extremely difficult to actually describe every emotion I felt while I witnessed, from a third person perspective, the horrors of this ongoing war. These men will be forever scarred, both mentally and physically, by their tour of duty while stationed in this remote small corner of the world. I am saddened on every level, for the families of those who lost their lives during the constant gun battles fought in that valley. I don't believe I've ever witnessed such a realistic view of what the citizens of this country commonly refer to as the ongoing war in Afghanistan.

Please correct me if I'm wrong....as far back as the history of all civilizations have revealed to us, aren't all military conflicts based on either political, land-based or religious issues? Is it no wonder with how I feel about the senselessness of war, that I've chosen to distance myself from all things political and/or religious? I believe I am not alone in my personal perspective and perception.....there are many of us who will continually ask the question....Why?



No comments: