Sunday, January 2, 2011

Especially stylish souvenirs

On more than one occasion, we've probably all fallen into the "gotta have it" typical souvenir pot hole. In the beginning, we'd usually find ourselves coming home with brightly colored t-shirts that shouted out the name of where we had traveled to, a couple postcards, and even a mug or two to remind me on a daily basis, as I drink my cup of tea, that I'd much rather be on vacation.

Although I have indulged in a few useless souvenirs over the years, I tend to lean towards purchasing more practical keepsakes. I have amassed quite an interesting collection of one item in particular, that also happens to be very useful while traveling, and at times, during my life at home. Being the type of person who enjoys colorful clothing and has fun accessorizing....I found years ago, that traveling to different places allows me the opportunity to find interesting and unique scarves wherever we go. Because cruise ships tend to be freezing for me, I actually wear one as a wrap each night on the ship, so they get plenty of use. And don't forget, this is me we are talking about...rarely do I spend more than $10 on any of them, ever!

Yesterday, when I began my organization project...I was putting a few away, then pulled out the collection I most often travel with, and had fun reminiscing with Roger, about exactly where each one was acquired. Because he loves talking about our various trips, I think he had as much fun as me, matching the scarves to all our adventures. Not only that, he now follows in my footsteps, and also chooses practical souvenirs when traveling. In 2008, he purchased a leather wallet at a street market in Madeira for 5E that to this day, looks as new as the day he bought it.

Here, in no particular order...are a few of the scarves and wraps I've collected over the years.


In China town while we were in London...such a tough choice, I took all three! One night on the ship, a gentleman made me an offer to buy the green one right off my back....sorry, no sale!


In New York City, the day I walked the "half marathon"--I wear this one all the time


On our Thanksgiving road trip last year...at Target!?!? Who knew it was going to be so freezing in New Orleans....this one also gets a lot of use


I fell in love with this while in Venice.....interestingly, when I was on my solo cruise in November, a woman in the elevator grabbed it out of my hands and insisted on keeping it....ummm nope....go to Italy and get your own!!!!


Also purchased in Venice....well we did have two shopping days in that city :)

So practical, thrifty, stylish and a bit selfish...that would be me in a nut shell. Perhaps in the future, I should purchase more than one of each and start my own especially stylish souvenir stand!!!


No comments: