Saturday, January 1, 2011

Resolutely resigned to a reasonable resolution

As the first day of January greeted us all this morning, many individuals find themselves facing the upcoming 12 months, with some ideas about how they would like to improve upon their personal goals of the preceding year. I am quite sure everyone is familiar with the term "New Year's Resolution." Why is it, that we all wait until a new year rolls around every 365 days, to whip ourselves into shape, and buckle down with an "original" plan of sorts?

I am completely guilty of the same bizarre thought process myself...as I always say... "Why do today, what can be done tomorrow?" That's the procrastinator's creed that many of us live by...sadly...it seems, that tomorrow never comes. Or, if it does, unfortunately, our efforts tend to be extremely short lived.

We are all aware that something usually needs to change...are we ever totally pleased with the choices we make about our every day life? I guess if we were, there would be no such thing as a New Year's Resolution! Here are just a few that may or may not have been a fleeting thought that crossed your own mind, on December 31st, over the last couple of decades...

I could use that piece of exercise equipment that sits in the corner mocking me each time I almost trip over it
I could make better choices when eating
I could find a more interesting/better paying job
I could spend more time volunteering
I could spend less time in front of the tv
I could read a new book and step away from the computer
I could be more conscientious about staying in touch with people I don't see very often...

...and for me, one of the things I really need to work on...being more organized...it's one thing that frustrates me to no end.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm truly not looking for perfection in my actions...I'm too much of a realist to even entertain those thoughts. What I do expect of myself, beyond what others might consider an area where "improvement" is necessary, would be a concerted effort on my part to banish the evil procrastinator that resides inside my head. Perhaps I should clarify...the lazy-evil procrastinator would be more like it. The happy-go-lucky child in me wins out every time over the authoritative adult who whispers in my ear...."You really should get your bottom up off the couch and do....." feel free to fill in the blank, with anything related to running a household. If something does not get done, I only have myself to answer to. Roger in no way pushes me to do much of anything. As a matter of fact, he usually encourages me to just relax and take it easy...who am I to argue with the man???

So today, just like millions of other people, I decided to begin my day with a small project (baby steps here folks) for self improvement. I opened up my suitcase, (the one on the floor in our extra room that I've been tripping over for the last two weeks), and finally removed whatever items that were still sitting in there, since December 16th--we are talking unworn clean clothes (yes, I overpack) belts, formal shoes, wraps and the like. It was my goal to put everything back in it's specific storage spot, so that when I get ready to repack for our upcoming trip, I am better able to locate each item I intend to bring. What a concept....why didn't I think of this before??? Silly me...I'll just never learn, and therein lies the crux of the matter...we all know what works for us, we sometimes just choose to ignore it.

I've resigned myself to the fact that no matter how resolutely we approach each New Year's Day, rarely is a complete resolution reasonable...then again, there's always next year!




No comments: