Thursday, February 10, 2011

What's really in a name???

Pick a name...any name...

It's like that card trick when you are presented with a deck of cards and you are expected to pick just the right one from that neat little pile spread out before you.

With a baby boy ready to make his appearance in only 4 short months, his parents are now tasked with choosing the perfect name for their newborn. Never an easy decision to make, one most of us have struggled with at one time or another. I recall thinking to myself...will we pick the right one? Will it fit this new little person until the end of their days on earth? Will my son or daughter like the name they have been given when he or she grows old enough to form an opinion about such things?

The first thing we did as parents-to-be, was buy one of those baby naming books with all the "meanings" listed beside each choice. Of course that is no longer necessary with the Internet at our fingertips, and boundless research options as far as the world wide web will take you. You can even wander through websites that offer the history of popular names throughout the ages, it's quite an interesting group listed by generations.

I find I play a bit of a name game when speaking to someone on the phone who I have not yet met in person. I am usually able to determine what age group they fall into by the name they have been given. Female names seem to give it away easier than men for me sometimes...let's face it, how many women do you know named Jennifer, Jessica or Amanda that were born before 1970? And going back further, how many named Judith, Joan or Anita were born after 1970? Quite honestly, some just stand the test of time no matter the decade you happen to be born in...but what's really in a name?

Middle names are truly the icing on the cake and seem to be decided with such ease...sometimes even before the first names are chosen. I find in many instances, they are significant in some way, most often as a tribute or in memory of a loved one...family members who have passed and others who may be living. Interestingly enough, my parents (Josephine and John) chose to have "fun" with all our first names (Jack, Joanne, Jim, Jerry, Justine and Jeffrey) and left the decision of picking a middle name up to us when we reached the mature old age of 12. I recall looking through a book of saints names (yes, they must be "sainted" and/or sanctioned confirmation names for catholic church) to figure out what sounded good with Joanne...ummmm, I came up with Stephanie???? Add that to my married last name...and you certainly have a mouthful. Thank goodness middle names are rarely mentioned during our adult life...only that pesky little initial follows us around forever....but what's really in a name?

Who knew that choosing a first name that sounds well with the last name could be so difficult. Too many vowels or consonants, in the wrong configuration, just don't sound right as they roll off your tongue. Most of us who change their name when they marry, don't really have much of a choice in the matter....can I offer anyone an 'N' or an 'M'....I happen to have a few extras just laying around :) Don't get me wrong...I was more than happy to stop being one of the JJ's!!! (my maiden name is Joseph---just think of what a uniquely sounding name my mother has had to deal with since she got married)

This sweet little baby boy will soon have the honor of being the first grandchild of the next generation of our entire family clan, and has the auspicious duty of carrying on my married name. Our son, happens to be the last known male across the rather small branches of my husband's family tree, and we are more than thrilled that he has graciously chosen to perpetuate the family name. If not for him...it would quietly disappear....but what's really in a name?

I'm guessing that Taryn and Brian are going to be figuring that out in the very near future. How nice that half the battle is done....some might say, the most significant part of this little boy's name is already figured out for them....but again, what's really in a name???



No comments: