Saturday, February 5, 2011

Stepping outside the "Box"...well I'm trying to anyway

While we were on our cruise a few weeks ago, late one night I flipped on the tv to see what free movies they had to offer. I figured I'd start watching something, then quickly fall asleep....none of the titles really seemed interesting and it had been a very long day. I found one that had slightly intrigued me, when it had been in the theaters last year, so I decided to give it a try.

Not long after I began watching, I realized it took place back in the 70's and I don't happen to be a big fan of american films set in different time periods, but I plodded on just the same. I knew in advance that it had a strange sci-fi overtone, however, at the time I didn't really care all that much. There was definitely a point where I simply asked myself "Joanne, why are you watching this junk?" Unfortunately, I was hooked and had to find out how the writers planned to end this sad story. Little did I know, that the movie was actually based on--and a remake of, an old twilight zone episode. That certainly explained a lot!

Although towards the end of the film, it was much heavier on the sci-fi than I would have preferred, I found a very interesting message hidden deep in the movie. Well, perhaps it wasn't really disguised all that much...as I recall a main character actually made a statement that solidified in my mind that this movie might have a bit more meaning than I had originally given it credit for...who knew???

It was my final consideration after the credits began to roll, that led me to keep the small idea in the back of my mind. I agreed with some of what the writers were making an effort to portray, their view of our society matched my own...as well as mirroring my current situation. What small steps could I make to change what I considered to be a slight flaw in my daily existence?

Before I try answering that question, I should first disclose the title of the movie...it was "The Box"

Wiki says...

"The Box is a 2009 American science-fiction psychological-thriller film based on the 1970 short story "Button, Button" by Richard Matheson, which was previously adapted into an episode of the 1980s incarnation of The Twilight Zone. The film is written and directed by Richard Kelly and stars Cameron Diaz and James Marsden as a couple who receive a box from a mysterious man who offers them one million dollars if they press the button sealed within the dome on top of the box."

As I'm sure you can imagine, this movie did not have a happy ending...people died....alien life forms abducted what was "left" of the couples who pushed the button..and the audience was afforded a front row seat to witness all that is wrong with the human race. I, however took a slightly different feeling away from the movie than the obvious message that we were hit over the head with...I concentrated on the slightly less significant "box" concept and took it to heart.

It's not rocket science...it's pretty basic...we live in boxes, drive to our jobs in boxes, work in boxes (I have the pleasure each day of spending 8 hours in a cubicle), cook our food in boxes (ovens and microwaves), store our food in refrigerated boxes, sleep on box springs, stare into boxes while watching tv and when working on computers (no, they did not exist in the 70's)..and last but not least...when we die, they bury us in a BOX!!!

At this time of year, when the weather is so very kind to those of us residing in South Florida, I always make more of an effort to spend additional time outdoors. The blistering heat that forces us to run from one air-conditioned "box" to another, is forgotten these few short "winter" months. Since returning from a vacation full of fresh-air adventures, I've felt pretty boxed in lately and decided today was a perfect time to remedy the situation.











The fresh air and bright sun flood inside as soon as we open the door

Although I'm the first one in this family to turn off the air-conditioning each fall and throw open the windows...I don't always remember to refresh and revisit the one open air space we have the pleasure of calling part of our home. Some southerners refer to it as a lanai...I call it what I fondly remember enjoying as a child in Connecticut...our screened-in porch.









Sunshine on my favorite spot...the open kitchen door reminds me chores are done for the day

Today it was time to rearrange, clean up and reintroduce myself to my favorite place to hang out...our cozy little "front room". I never tire of watching the boat traffic float by and seeing the pelicans dive for fish, or listening to the water lapping against the wooden docks.








Early morning boats going down the river on the way out to sea

We open the front door, the kitchen door, most of the windows and sit back to listen to the breeze blowing through our home. Being on the 4th floor affords us a clear view over the tops of the palm trees and out to the distant inter-coastal waterway.









Feet up and enjoying a quiet afternoon "outside"

So, in reality I've not been able to completely discard my boxes....however, I have succeeded in removing one of the walls that surrounds the world that I live in. I know I should make more of an effort to walk to the library, bank and store. If we lived in the city, I would easily ignore the car and allow my feet to lead me to each one of those locations. The sad fact...all of those places are completely within a few blocks of our home. Last week we went to dinner at a place no less than 3 city blocks from our front door...and we got in the car to go there, even after my insistence that we walk. What is wrong with us????












A bowl of sweetness always tastes better eaten in the fresh air

While a very large portion of the country is currently being forced indoors due to the extreme weather conditions...I am foolishly ignoring my obvious opportunity to spend time in the beautiful sunshine, and leave my boxes behind, if only for a short period of time. I will continue to remind myself that it's never to late to take that first step outside of the box...









The sun begins to set in the west...just another day in my paradise...


No comments: