Monday, October 25, 2010

With rings on her fingers...and bells on her toes

I will be the first to admit that yes, I can be a bit strange.....and yes, I have a fascination for some strange things...and yes, I have a habit of taking pictures of some of those strange things that fascinate me. Interestingly enough (or maybe not to anyone other than me), this time, the fascination and picture taking are directed right back towards myself. Not sure why, don't even bother asking..I have no answer for you, because even I can't figure me out sometimes. Suffice to say, I always try to find the beauty in everything, and in this particular instance, the "beauty" is most certainly in the eyes of the beholder..and that would be yours truly.

So, I've mentioned in the past that I love to have my ten little piggies out in the fresh air whenever possible. More importantly, they are most happy when bare and splashing through the waves at the beach, or even the pool will do in a pinch.





Outer Banks, North Carolina--yes, I remember where I was when I took the picture :)

Please understand, that I do not exaggerate in making that statement...not even one little bit. When we lived up north I dreaded the winter, when among other things, I would have to cover up my toes, for many long dreary months, to stave off the onset of frostbite. Boots were not so bad, I actually own a few pair and enjoy wearing them, even for our short southern "winter" season, or when we travel north to visit family.





However, just a regular pair of closed shoes always left me with issues regarding the proper fit. In the past, I had never noticed any difference between my two feet, but I did begin to experience problems and had one shoe that would just never stay on my foot. It was annoying to buy those little soft sticky-backed pieces of moleskin to place inside the back of my shoe, in the area where the bone in the back of my foot, hit my shoe. None of my minor adjustments completely solved the problem, and I counted the days each year, until spring came and I could once again let my toes out to breath. The only solution to this strange problem, resulted in my search for winter shoes each year that either had no back, or I'd resort to wearing only boots for most of the cold season.





Clearwater beach--west coast of Florida, Hilton Hotel





Morning walks...West Palm Beach

When we finally decided to move to Florida, you could truthfully say I was happy from the top of my head right down to the tips of my toes. No more closed shoes for this gal...watch out flip flop city, here I come!!!





West coast of Florida--road trip last fall, note the long pants rolled up--chilly water here

Although over the years, I find myself walking through stores, and when I see a cute little pair of closed shoes, I think to myself, well maybe these will be different....they are just too pretty to be painful to wear. So, I'll try them on and they seem to feel ok...hmmmm, perhaps it's going to be different this time and the pain won't be there. Believe it or not, I buy them, take them home, wear them for a day...and they begin to slip off one foot. What is wrong with me???? Those shoes just sit on the floor, staring at me...saying "what were you thinking????" Will I ever learn? I slap on a band aide to cover the blister and shove the shoes to the back of my closet hoping that in the winter, if I just buy heavier socks, they will be comfortable. Who am I kidding? It's back to my flip flops, mules and sandals...swapping to boots when the temps drop to a "cool" 50 degrees.





Cruise ship--first transatlantic, my favorite view... me + the ocean = happy :)

When we first moved to the south, I spent every free waking moment in the sun, at the pool, in my flip flops...and I was iiiiiiiiin heaven. I had my very first pedicure 4 short weeks after we moved here as a part of a 41st birthday present to myself. It was so wonderful, and I still treat myself to one as often as time and $$ allow. I have a similar obsession with my fingernails, which started at a very young age, but that's another story.





Daytona Beach--we ran away from home for the weekend, my flip flops broke when we arrived at the hotel as I stepped into the elevator...time for some new ones...I guess!?!





These will do in a pinch...love that I can spend less than $10 on footwear...sometimes only $1 and I can find replacements at any drugstore

A female neighbor of ours once said that I had sexy feet....ummm come again? Feet can be sexy? Suuuuure (wink-wink) my feet are sexy-yikes. Ok, really NOT used to having anyone say that to me...but then again, this is Florida, and very little of the human body is hidden away from season to season...if you know what I mean!?! Anywhoooo, I then began a love affair, which continues to this day, with my very own feet and also every single pair of shoes that I decide to showcase them in (yes, I'm a shoe freak too), for the past 10 years.





Second transatlantic--view from our balcony...very happy

Now before you think I'm getting a big head about all this....aren't we supposed to love ourselves first, so that others can love us equally??? Oops, I almost forget...we (my feet and I) did not have a meeting of the "minds" on the whole marathon thing, and my feet eventually won that battle...well, perhaps we met in the middle and formed a truce. They agreed, just this once, to get me across the finish line (shortened though it might have been), and I agreed to never again, put them in another pair of closed sneakers.





Good thing there is a picture of this, because unless I can go barefoot, my marathon days are over!

Here's hoping that the memory of my uncomfortable feet, will over come the lack of memory in my brain.... if I could just remember to look the other way, when I see that next pair of really hot closed shoes!?!? "Do these come in a sling-back style perhaps?"


Up and over the bridges of Venice--these tough feet get me where I wanna be, no matter what shoes I have on!





Most of the time...this is exactly how to make my feet happy...flip flops and just hanging out at home, catching a few rays....I should go check and see if the sun is out.....almost forgot, I need to think about pulling out my boots, we are heading to Chicago on Saturday!


Think I could get one of these little things installed in my bathroom...my toes would have REALLY loved something like this after one of those long hot training days.

Although I make light about the subject of my toes, I have a great respect for every single part of my body. I'm very conscious, on a daily basis, of how it contributes to and provides me with, the quality of life I enjoy. As we age, its so important to be aware of your body's limitations, and to maintain it in a sensible manner. Simply put...you take care of it....it will take care of you!



No comments: