Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sunrise....Sunset....quickly goes the day

I'm not sure exactly when my fascination began with watching the sun rise each morning and set at the end of the day, or why I began taking pictures of it. It may have something to do with the fact that I go to bed early, and therefore I'm awake almost every morning, so I happen to actually see the sun come up on a daily basis. I'm quite sure, that I noticed the glory of it's quiet, peaceful ascent over the ocean, on one of our first cruise vacations. It wouldn't be until 11 years later, when we moved to Florida, that the true beauty of the rising and setting sun, caught my attention again.


Taken off the balcony of a cruise ship.

First and foremost, when you live in New England, and suffer through a harsh winter, as we did our last year in Connecticut, you can go days, weeks, even a month without seeing a beautiful sunny day. I don't need to tell you that it gets quite depressing when the "sun don't shine on me" for an extended period of time.








The view each morning when we lived in the high-rise in downtown West Palm Beach.

We spent a lot of time by the ocean when we initially moved to the south of Florida. We couldn't get enough of that warm sand and salt air, and would find ourselves at the beach almost every weekend. We lived directly on the intercoastal waterway, and the beach was a few miles away. During our 10 years living here, we've always chosen to be as close to the water as possible, and if not waterfront, then near enough to be shoreside within less than five minutes. At one point, we became boat owners and spent nights out on the water, enjoying a front row seat to many a spectacular sunrise, across the morning horizon.








The colors of the rising sun and the texture of the clouds created a beautiful blanket across the sky--view from our balcony

One characteristic of the Florida landscape, that I had been completely unaware of, lends itself to the beautiful vistas on both coasts. Who knew that you could watch the sun rise in the east, then easily turn around and watch it set in the west from the same vantage point. Simply put, where we live in the south of Florida, the land is completely FLAT. Undoubtedly, the most incredible views of the rising and setting of the sun, can be captured at the southernmost point of the United States in Key West. We've traveled there almost every year since moving to Florida...it draws us into it's web of islands like no other place on earth. I recall such fond memories of our first long drive down to the keys, it is like something I had never witnessed before. We return as often as possible to enjoy the beauty of true island life in the south. The locals host a nightly sunset ritual along the quayside in Key West, and everyone gathers to watch and photograph the sun, as it appears to slip into the ocean.








The panhandle of Florida, brilliant color without the actual sun--view from balcony

We were fortunate enough to live high enough in a condo tower that overlooked not only the inter coastal, but also in the distance, we could see the ocean. I recall many a morning jumping up to catch the sun as it rose in the east, and shed brilliant colors across everything in it's path. I felt like a young child discovering something new for the very first time.








An early morning walk on Juno Beach--view from the sand

At times, I would actually question my obsession with this silly fascination.....the sun rises and sets in almost everyplace....on this earth....every day...why did I struggle to capture this on film? I'm certainly not alone in my obsession, there are literally millions of people also in search of the perfect picture of the sun rising and setting against any manner of gorgeous backdrops. It never really matters, where we are, who we are visiting, what state or even what country we are in...when a beautiful view presents itself, I'll quickly take out my camera, and grab a quick shot. For me it is perhaps a very simple explanation, I am totally in awe of the colors that the rising and setting sun creates as it moves throughout the sky....Mother Nature at her best...a daily gift that solidifies in my mind, that life does go on.


During one of my training sessions last year--view from the sidewalk over the sand dunes








The sun setting over the west coast of Florida during our road trip--view from the car








The Outer Banks in North Carolina--view from vacation home








Early morning drive from Detroit to Glen Arbor, for Brian and Taryn's wedding--view from the car








The sun sets over the lake the night before the wedding-view from Taryn's grandmother's home








Last glimpse of light on our first evening in Glen Arbor--view from Mike and Martha's home








Sun setting off the back of the cruise ship--view from our balcony








Sun setting over Key West--view from the hotel roof








Sunrise over the golf course--view from the balcony at Doral Resort








Good morning sunshine--view from our balcony on the ship


The current view from home each morning....Florida, I am so in love with you :)








Sunrise, a boat and the ocean...I doesn't get much better than this!


2 comments:

Richard said...

Beautiful shots! My favorites are those in which the sunreflects off of the clouds. And your prose is eloquent. Is's obcious that this is a labor of love!

Rich (richsea - cruisecritic)

Joanne said...

Thanks so much Rich for your kind words, those cloud photos are my favorite ones too