Friday, July 15, 2011

Everything's betta with butta! Episode 1

So back in March, when I took an obvious but unexpected hiatus from writing this blog, a very simple decision I made one day, resulted in me taking a good hard look at something I had always taken for granted...my love-hate relationship with the f-word....FAT!!!! Not body fat...but instead food fat....which many believe are one in the same...but are they really??? For as long as I can remember, we've been conditioned to turn and run the other way, when we were faced with full-fat food options....do I choose healthy (low-fat) or unhealthy (full-fat)??? Well, even though I don't have any complicated weight issues, I'm still very conscious about what I eat and unbeknownst to me.....I've recently come to find out, we've been doing it ALL wrong for a very long time.

After months of research, an almost 180 degree reversal of how I previously viewed food, and a radical change in our shopping and eating habits, I've finally decided to begin writing about this new addition to our culinary life. We've reintroduced ourselves to the wonderfully delicious world of whole fat organic foods. I had actually considered starting an entirely different blog related just to food, (entitled what I instead chose for today's title and future episodes) and then I realized that eating isn't actually a separate part of my life. Try cutting the idea of the consumption of food from the rest of what happens to us on a daily basis...and you are missing a large portion of who we are as human beings. Not only does food sustain me 24 hours a day, it is my lifeblood and allows me to to sit here forming ideas in my head as I write. What made me think that this subject needed and/or warranted it's own individual "stream of consciousness" forum. I've written about food before during my daily ramblings...and even dedicated an entire travel blog to the food I consumed on a European cruise...quite frankly that's more than enough in my book. If the food lover in me can't quietly (yikes, did I just use the word quiet to describe something about me????) continue to co-exist with the writer/blogger in me, then "Houston, we have a problem"

So, putting all that potential psychoanalysis aside, I'm gonna keep on writing about all the "stuff" going on in my life as I have in the past...like it or not...please try to follow along regardless of the subject matter. I promise you nothing much out of the ordinary, except it might seem like I am focusing on our recent return to natural eating till the cows come home....and speaking of cows...have I mentioned the organic farm where we now get 50% of our food?

You will realize in a very short period of time, that my passion for this eating lifestyle takes up not only a very large space in my head, but also a very large space on the page. There is more information out there than even I thought possible, and I've been studying food, and our body's relationship to it, for as long as I can remember. My rekindled love of all things fat-related has opened up a nutritional world completely unknown to me in the past, and one that I have willingly entered into...I mean really, who doesn't love the taste of fat??? Let me just tell you if you haven't already figured it out for yourselves, fat tastes good for a very important reason....we need it to exist and not in the very small portions that we were led to believe. Mother nature isn't stupid (in the famous words of Tom Naughton-I'll formally introduce you to him later), foods rich in healthy fat appeal to our taste buds because the human body will not function properly without it...plain and simply, that's a FACT!!! So stick that in your low-fat vegetarian smoothie and drink it....sorry to be so harsh, but I was one (a vegetarian) and it's the worst thing we can do to ourselves.

It's going to be very difficult for me to disseminate all the nutritional information that I've found over the last 4 months in this one blog post. So, in Episode 1, I'll start you off in the same way I stumbled upon the subject matter back in March...I found and watched the movie "Fat Head" which lead me to where I am today. Tom Naughton, a comedian and writer originally made a simple disclaimer movie regarding his views on what Morgan Spurlock purported to be the truth about fast food. This little idea Tom had, in a miraculous turn of events, has become the catalyst for movie watchers across the country to become more conscious of their unhealthy eating habits. I don't believe he originally set out to uncover all the unbelievable truths regarding just how important nutritious natural fats are for us. Who knew that eating fat could lead us to become so much more healthier than alternatively, although blindly, following the misinformation that the government and the medical industry has been "feeding" us for the last 20 years.

If you are a member of Netflix, you can stream the movie live, or order it to watch the DVD at home. If you have access to a computer, Hulu offers a free viewing of the movie online. Or as a last result, pay the $20 and order a copy. I've watched it so many times, I've lost track and although I initially viewed it through Netflix, I also own two copies and regularly loan them out to friends. It's information you will want to share with every person you encounter because it's that important! So, do yourself a favor and WATCH it now! I can promise you will never look at food in the same way again :). Here is the link to the website for further reading.

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/about/
As I mentioned, there is too much info for one post, so stop back in again soon and I'll fill you in on how Amos and Annie help us to eat all manner of yummy foods...and don't forget...everything tastes betta with butta!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone